Sunday, April 13, 2008

I'm not where I should be, in more ways than one

sometimes somebody else has already said what i want to...


oh for a heart that doesn't heartache

and for a backbone that won't break

for some steady feet and sturdy ground

a road that isn't going to let me turn around and around

for a thousand tongues to sing


to wear wisdom like Solomon's robe

for the patience and perspective of a man like Job

just to soar on wings of eagles for no other reason

than the bird's eye view or a flight or two


and the list gets longer: who i wish i was and was no longer


i never could be good enough to measure up

but you want to take me as i come

you're the only that can

take me as i am


oh to feel hope in hopeless times

never mind the silver lining cause the clouds are fine

to breathe prayers that move the heavens or save hundreds from the flames

to know my place, to know my name


but the gap grows wider between who i am and all i aspire to be


i never could be good enough to measure up

but you want to take me as i come

you're the only one that can

take me as i am


at the end of myself at the end of the day

i can find little else but the courage to say

i need you, that's all

i need you


-nichole nordeman

i.e. best songwriter since david

1 comment:

Sarah said...

amen!
that's beautiful, Janel. Hang in there, friend.