Tuesday, March 4, 2008

"Newbie!"

I'm used to being in new situations; I think I'm pretty good at adapting to a new environment. I've even been accused of being addicted to change. Even though I don't love having my world constantly turned upside down, it's true that I am slightly ADD... just to the point of being very easily bored. (My poor mother had to tell me to stop calling her every time I was bored at my last job... that was the final straw-- I quit and found a better fit.)

My first run-in with being the 'new girl' was in 4th grade. I had been homeschooled and my primary playmates were my younger brother, his friends, and Meagan. I began school in November or December, I believe; right about the time Gabe was born. Sixth grade, I was homeschooled; seventh-- Charter school for the fall and home for the spring. Eighth grade was split between Woodlawn and Wayzata Central. Ninth was The Blake School, tenth was Wayzata High, eleventh and twelfth were East Chapel Hill High. Needless to say, by the time I went to UNC, attending one school for four years was beyond my wildest dream! And I loved it.... I met my best friends and my 'college boyfriend' more or less immediately. A few people came and went but the core of my experience was constant for those four challenging, fun years.

After Jason died and graduation, I shipped out... I was the 'new girl' for a few weeks at TPT, but with turnover the way it is there, that didn't last long. But after only seven months, I left again... and I've been at Pulte just over a month, but I'm the 'new girl.' I still don't know everyone's names; I haven't been out on my own; I feel like I have very little to contribute. But I know the expectations for me are high, and I know I can exceed them. I have the work ethic and the skills to succeed here as long as I choose.

I get tired of being the new girl, but it's always stretching, and everything that stretches me prepares me for the challenges that lie ahead. A gymnast stretches for months to be flexible enough to perform their crazy stunts. I may have some crazy ass stunts ahead, and I want to be flexible, experienced, and confident enough to take them on with the boldness of a strong woman of God who has been blessed with a unique and privileged calling.

I'm just noticing it more right now because I'm on a work retreat where many have been working together for several years. But how am I going to become friends with these people unless I attend these kinds of outings? =)

I wish we could have gone bowling though! I've gotten addicted after going Super Bowling and for Chad's birthday.

1 comment:

kd said...

Bowling - such an underrated sport. I love going and I love playing it on wii as well! Both are so riveting (and I'm not being sarcastic)!