Sunday, March 2, 2008

True Identity

JD talked about Jesus's trial and death this morning.  He talked about how Christians chose an odd symbol (an object of torture, no less!) to be the rallying point of our faith, and why.  He said many use the cross to induce guilt, or they feel guilt when they think of the cross.  The other side of the coin is that we often think the cross was simply an example of God's love for us. (JD counters: why would you allow yourself to be killed to show somebody you loved them?)

(Aside: last week's talk was amazing. Stop-what-you're-doing-and-listen-now amazing. Never again will I read the Garden of Gethsemene story in the same way.)

In reality, the cross shows the gruesomeness, the true horror of our sin.  That's what we deserved; that's how disgusting our sin is to God. We don't like thinking of that.  But Jesus had to die exactly in that way to work salvation for all people, and his death was totally sufficient! Nothing more is needed from us.

Louie Giglio spoke at Passion 05 about our identity as Saved Ex-Sinners.  He said we often sit in this "woe is me, wretched sinner that I am!" I was astounded when he charged us to think of ourselves as saints already, rather than sinners... "you big bunch of saints!! stop sinning, and believing the lie that anything is better than Jesus."  For crying out loud, the "same power is in us that raised Christ Jesus from the grave." The power of the Creator of All Things!

And then at Passion 07, John Piper spoke about committing sin, repenting, and then denying the evil one's lies that we are useless to God because of our failure. Our failure changes nothing about who God is and who we are and it certainly does not mean that we are useless.

Second aside: I find it fascinating how God chooses to use our starkest failings or shortcomings as the canvas for His most glorious artworks. (Isaiah's unclean lips, Moses's stutter, Jacob's faithlessness & dishonesty, Abraham's age, Mary's virginity, Hannah's barrenness...)

All three of those speakers have given me something.  From JD, I am again convinced that my identity is Redeemed, "not of my own striving" but only of His doing.  From Louie, I can see myself as already considered Holy, thanks to the imputation of Jesus's life and death to my account. God sees me as He sees Jesus. That in and of itself is beyond comprehension. (I like to comprehend things; I don't like this unfamiliar Impossible.) And from Pastor John, I am empowered to serve the God whom I have offended countless times but who has continued to love and bless me.

Do not gloat over me, my enemy! Though I have fallen, I will rise.
Though I sit in darkness, the Lord will be my light.
Because I have sinned against him, I will bear the Lord's wrath,
until He pleads my case and establishes my right.
He will bring me out into the light; I will see His righteousness.
-Micah 7:8-9

No comments: