Wednesday, January 16, 2008

On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.

Life is often silly, and that's how I like it. That's why I loved to read about Anne Shirley and Nancy Drew and Kitty & Lydia Bennet and Betsy/Tacy and so many other girls when I was wee.

Boys are silly too. I love this story not because I was being hit on (although that is never bad for the Ego), but because it just shows how silly some people are.

Beth Allen, her roommate, and I were closing our tabs at TopO on Saturday night. Beth was being the heroine and getting our cards, and I could tell the group of about eight thirty-somethings were talking about me. The closest leans over and, indicating a young man near us, says, "So is that the new style here?" "What?" "You know, the three-piece suit." I look over at the guy, look back at him, and say, "He's going to a dress for success party." "What's that?" "I don't know." "But you just said that's where he's going." "He told me." "Oh, so he was hitting on you already?" (Mistake 1-- admitting he's hitting on me and he's prolly not the first one tonight.) "No, he's my friend." (Mistake 2-- trying to hit on me by making fun of a friend.)

He valiently tries to recover, as his friend joins the conversation. "So, are you not going? You look dressed for success." Friend: "Yeah, you look successful!" Janel: "I don't think jeans would cut it." Friend: "The only thing you'd be successful at is being a model." (Mistake 3: Pretty obvious. Who says that?)

This is perfect. The lamest thing to say to somebody. I wasn't interested to begin with, and this sealed all their fates, but it did pique my wit.

Janel: "Oh, really? That's ALL I'd be successful at, is it? Just a model. That's all I could do."
Lame Friend of First Guy: "I mean, I've never talked to you before... I don't know if you're smart or not..."
Janel: "Well, I just now spoke to you and I can already tell you're not qualified to judge me on how intelligent I am."
LFoFG: "Well, now that I've spoken to you I know you could be a rocket scientist or a nuclear physicist."
(Props to him for correctly pronouncing physicist.)
Janel: "Right." And I turned back to the bar.

First Guy tried to talk a little more ("What's your major?" ... already graduated... "International studies? You must be a good translator!") but Beth's roommate saved me, and they continued to make fools of themselves. ("She's tough-- are you that tough?" "I don't know; I just met her." "Oh, did she pick you up at the bar or did you pick her up?")

Gotta love it. What on earth possessed them to continue?! Thankfully, this is not a nightly occurrence for me.

Mr Bennet: "And what of your cousin, Mr Collins? As a connoisseur of human folly, I would have thought you eager to be savoring such delights."
Elizabeth: "Of such delights, sir, I believe a little goes a long way."

Tomorrow I'm moving to Morrisville and Ellen and I are signing our new lease! (The aforementioned "big things to come." =) )

1 comment:

kd said...

oh how you weave in P&P into the happenings of your everyday life! I love you for it - and so many other reasons. Be sure to send me your new address! And, just for the record - the Anne movies are great!